Dwarka as venue for future Auto Expo shows?
New Delhi: Union Minister Kamal Nath on Wednesday
said attempts were on to create a new exhibition centre for
international shows in South West Delhi`s Dwarka as the
hosting capacity of Pragati Maidan has reached its saturation
"We are looking at venues in Dwarka and we are talking to
international exhibitors who got skills for an exhibition
centre of international standards," Nath told reporters after
his valedictory address at the Auto Expo.
"It is true because we have limited exhibition centres
and many exhibitors also come there and the number of common
people who visit is also increasing each year," he added.
Nath admitted that Pragati Maidan, the present venue, was
already stretched to accommodate the show.
"The carrying capacity of this exhibition centre has been
saturated. So we are making attempts to create a new
exhibition centre in Delhi," he said.
However, the Urban Development minister did not made it
clear that whether a new venue would be ready by the time the
show is held next year.
"By next year there may be announcement for the creation
of a new exhibition centre, but it may take more time to build
it," he said.
Nath said relocating the auto show to another venue did
not mean that it would move away from the heart of the city.
"Today there is no area which can claim to be centre of
Delhi. Those who say that they live in Dwarka or East Delhi
also can claim that they live in the heart of Delhi," Nath
That a venue shift was on the cards was also hinted when
Nath unveiled a plaque which mentioned February 5 to 12 as the
dates for the next Auto Expo. In place of venue, only the
"National Capital Region of Delhi" was mentioned.
Earlier in his valedictory address Nath said that the
auto sector reflected the vitality and aspiration of India`s
young demographic profile.
"I was delighted to see the vitality of this sector and
the vitality of the visitors, a very young age profile. It has
been the most significant thing that from 2006 to today, the
age profile of the visitors has come down," Nath said.
"It is true that this sector is an index of the economic
health of the nation and if we look at the performance of the
last five years nobody will say that we have problems with our
economy," he said.
In his speech, Nath also mentioned the challenges on
urban mobility front that the country is facing due to rapid
urbanisation. “Urban mobility will be a huge challenge; how
to move people and not cars...," he said.
Referring to the Delhi example, Nath said "we are seeing
in the Capital areas built in the last twenty years which
cater to scooters and motorcycles.
"What do we do with parking? What do we do with urban
aspects? I have directed that all cities with a population of
more than 2 million should start preparing DPR for Metro,"
Nath said the revised Master Plan of Delhi would be a
realistic plan which would factor in the latest technologies
and also serve as a model for other cities.
"A realistic plan, a master plan which will take in to
account the latest of technologies. We are now working towards
planned suburbanisation," he said.
Referring to developing suburbs, the Minister said that
in the past suburbs were developed more by default than by
"This time we want it to happen in a planned manner. So
that when we talk about India being a global player in the
world, its cities are also comparable to cities in the world,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in