EC notifies Delhi results, paves way for govt formation process
New Delhi: The Election Commission on Tuesday notified results of the Assembly polls in Delhi, paving way for start of the formal process of government formation by the Lt Governor.
As the election has thrown up a hung verdict, Lt Governor Najeeb Jung is now expected to formally explore all options to put in place a government and is likely to call BJP, which along with its ally Akali Dal`s one seat, has support of 32 MLAs in the 70-member House.
If BJP declines such an offer, then Jung may ask AAP if was willing to explore the possibility of government formation, election experts said.
In case AAP also refuses to take the offer, then the Lt Governor may be left with little option but to recommend central rule.
AAP has got 28 seats followed by Congress with eight. JD-U has won one seat while the Mundka seat has gone to an Independent.
BJP today stuck to its earlier position that it did not have the numbers to form the government and that it was ready to face fresh election.
"We don`t have enough numbers to form a stable government and we are ready to fight the election once again, if such a situation arises," BJP`s Chief Ministerial candidate Harsh Vardhan told reporters, emerging from a meeting of newly elected MLAs.
AAP`s Arvind Kejriwal maintained that as the single largest party, it was the responsibility of BJP to form the government.
"BJP has been given the mandate. It is the single largest party. So it should try and form the government taking support of Congress," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof