EC notifies Delhi results, paves way for govt formation process
New Delhi: The Election Commission on Tuesday notified results of the Assembly polls in Delhi, paving way for start of the formal process of government formation by the Lt Governor.
As the election has thrown up a hung verdict, Lt Governor Najeeb Jung is now expected to formally explore all options to put in place a government and is likely to call BJP, which along with its ally Akali Dal`s one seat, has support of 32 MLAs in the 70-member House.
If BJP declines such an offer, then Jung may ask AAP if was willing to explore the possibility of government formation, election experts said.
In case AAP also refuses to take the offer, then the Lt Governor may be left with little option but to recommend central rule.
AAP has got 28 seats followed by Congress with eight. JD-U has won one seat while the Mundka seat has gone to an Independent.
BJP today stuck to its earlier position that it did not have the numbers to form the government and that it was ready to face fresh election.
"We don`t have enough numbers to form a stable government and we are ready to fight the election once again, if such a situation arises," BJP`s Chief Ministerial candidate Harsh Vardhan told reporters, emerging from a meeting of newly elected MLAs.
AAP`s Arvind Kejriwal maintained that as the single largest party, it was the responsibility of BJP to form the government.
"BJP has been given the mandate. It is the single largest party. So it should try and form the government taking support of Congress," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India