EC receives bulk voter applications ahead of Delhi polls
New Delhi: Delhi Election Commission has a massive task at hand of processing a huge number of new applications that it has received for enrolment in the electoral roll just weeks ahead of the assembly elections.
About 5.39 lakh new applications have been received in last two months with even more people expected to file in the next coming days as the voting enrolment process continues.
"Though the final electoral roll had been published on September 9, 2013, continuous upgrading will be going on till the last date of nominations with names added or modified in electoral list," said a senior election officer.
Applications can be filed either online or at Jeevan or voter centres.
About 14 lakh new voters were added in the electoral list between October, 2012 and the publication of the final electoral roll in September, with an average of about 1.27 lakh voter added per month.
Simultaneously, around 16 lakh names were deleted from the list due to duplication, shifting of the voter to another place or due to death, an official said.
The total number of forms received during the summary revision from July 5 to August 2 was 7.94 lakh, out of which 6.83 lakh were accepted.
Of the total application received during the summary revision, 2.46 lakh were received online (31 per cent), out of which 2.39 lakh were fresh applications for enrolment.
Between the period of publication of final electoral roll and till today another one lakh new voters have been added.
Presently, the total number of voters in Delhi is over 1.15 crore, out of which 64 lakh are male and over 51 lakh are female. About 8000 homeless and 551 transgender have also been added to the voter list.
The number of first time voters (18-19 years) is more than 3.65 lakh, which is 3.13 per cent of total electoral population.
And for the first time, the gender ratio has crossed the 800 mark, which presently stands at 804 female per 1000 males.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video