EC receives bulk voter applications ahead of Delhi polls
New Delhi: Delhi Election Commission has a massive task at hand of processing a huge number of new applications that it has received for enrolment in the electoral roll just weeks ahead of the assembly elections.
About 5.39 lakh new applications have been received in last two months with even more people expected to file in the next coming days as the voting enrolment process continues.
"Though the final electoral roll had been published on September 9, 2013, continuous upgrading will be going on till the last date of nominations with names added or modified in electoral list," said a senior election officer.
Applications can be filed either online or at Jeevan or voter centres.
About 14 lakh new voters were added in the electoral list between October, 2012 and the publication of the final electoral roll in September, with an average of about 1.27 lakh voter added per month.
Simultaneously, around 16 lakh names were deleted from the list due to duplication, shifting of the voter to another place or due to death, an official said.
The total number of forms received during the summary revision from July 5 to August 2 was 7.94 lakh, out of which 6.83 lakh were accepted.
Of the total application received during the summary revision, 2.46 lakh were received online (31 per cent), out of which 2.39 lakh were fresh applications for enrolment.
Between the period of publication of final electoral roll and till today another one lakh new voters have been added.
Presently, the total number of voters in Delhi is over 1.15 crore, out of which 64 lakh are male and over 51 lakh are female. About 8000 homeless and 551 transgender have also been added to the voter list.
The number of first time voters (18-19 years) is more than 3.65 lakh, which is 3.13 per cent of total electoral population.
And for the first time, the gender ratio has crossed the 800 mark, which presently stands at 804 female per 1000 males.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...