EC sets rules for printing presses ahead of assembly polls
New Delhi: The Election Commission on Friday cautioned all printing presses of legal action on failing to publish their details on political banners and hoardings printed by them, as a part of the Model Code of Conduct for the ensuing assembly elections.
Chief Electoral Officer Vijay Dev said all printing presses should comply with section 127A of the Representation of the People Act and publish their names and addresses on the banners and hoardings and in case of violations, criminal prosecution will be initiated against them.
It becomes too difficult to trace back the money spent by candidates during election campaign, which in turn hinders the electoral process, Dev said.
He said during the last two days of enforcement drive, five printing presses have been sealed for publishing political banners and hoarding without mentioning the name and address of the printers and publishers.
"Printing presses are also required to give declaration to District magistrate and Chief Electoral Officer about their licenses. In case, they do not adhere to this rule criminal prosecution will be initiated and their units will be sealed, Dev said.
The drive will intensify in coming days. Our focus is on unlicensed printing presses, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past