ED gets 4 days custody of Abhishek Verma, his wife
New Delhi: The Enforcement Directorate (ED) was on Thursday allowed by a Delhi court to take into their custody businessman Abhishek Verma and his wife for four days to quiz them for their alleged role in a money laundering case.
Verma and his Romanian wife Anca Maria Neascu, arrested by the ED yesterday in connection with the case, were produced before the court which remanded them to its custody till August 27 after the agency said that the case is having "wide international ramifications" and the probe is going on.
The ED told the court that it was the only competent authority to investigate under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), 2002 and that the duo`s custodial interrogation was necessary to know the magnitude of the offence committed by them.
"...Thus keeping in view all the allegations on accused persons, the accused persons are remanded to the custody of the department for the period of four days," Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (ACMM) Gautam Manan said.
During the arguments, ED`s prosecutor Naveen Kumar Matta sought seven days custody of both the accused saying that the probe in the case is in progress.
"From the investigations conducted so far, there has emerged a prima facie case of violation of provisions of the PMLA of a very large magnitude having wide international ramifications involving a number of persons/entities including both the accused/suspects. These investigations are still in progress," the ED, in its remand application, said.
ED said Verma and his wife were involved in the offences of PMLA of very high magnitude "running into crores of rupees".
The ED had registered a money laundering case against the couple for allegedly receiving money from a Swiss defence firm to keep it out of the Indian government`s blacklist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured