ED gets 4 days custody of Abhishek Verma, his wife
New Delhi: The Enforcement Directorate (ED) was on Thursday allowed by a Delhi court to take into their custody businessman Abhishek Verma and his wife for four days to quiz them for their alleged role in a money laundering case.
Verma and his Romanian wife Anca Maria Neascu, arrested by the ED yesterday in connection with the case, were produced before the court which remanded them to its custody till August 27 after the agency said that the case is having "wide international ramifications" and the probe is going on.
The ED told the court that it was the only competent authority to investigate under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), 2002 and that the duo`s custodial interrogation was necessary to know the magnitude of the offence committed by them.
"...Thus keeping in view all the allegations on accused persons, the accused persons are remanded to the custody of the department for the period of four days," Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (ACMM) Gautam Manan said.
During the arguments, ED`s prosecutor Naveen Kumar Matta sought seven days custody of both the accused saying that the probe in the case is in progress.
"From the investigations conducted so far, there has emerged a prima facie case of violation of provisions of the PMLA of a very large magnitude having wide international ramifications involving a number of persons/entities including both the accused/suspects. These investigations are still in progress," the ED, in its remand application, said.
ED said Verma and his wife were involved in the offences of PMLA of very high magnitude "running into crores of rupees".
The ED had registered a money laundering case against the couple for allegedly receiving money from a Swiss defence firm to keep it out of the Indian government`s blacklist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP