Editors Guild protest threats to journalists in UP
New Delhi: The Editors Guild of India has written to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati, protesting against the rising cases of "intimidation, threats and violence" against journalists by her administration.
Taking note of an incident of alleged manhandling of two journalist of IBN7 news channel, the Guild asked Mayawati to take all necessary steps to ensure that media can function freely in the state.
Two journalists from IBN7, Shalabh Mani Tripathi and Manoj Ranjan Tripathi, were victims of police brutality, reportedly because they helped "expose the conspiracy and cover-up" behind the death of Deputy Chief Medical Officer Y S Sachan in the Lucknow jail hospital, the Guild said in a statement.
The scribes were able to prevent false cases being registered against them by the Lucknow Police only because one of them managed to escape from police custody and the city`s media staged a march protesting against the false arrests, it said.
The Guild has appreciated Mayawati`s action in suspending two police officers responsible for arresting and threatening the concerned journalists.
However, it has expressed its deep concern that police harassment of the media has become all "too common" in UP.
The Guild said the IBN7 TV channel was switched off in UP when the management refused to be pressured into presenting only the government point of view in the mysterious death of Sachan.
In the same week, IBN 7 was also switched off in the entire state, after it carried a report on the rising number of rape cases in Uttar Pradesh, the statement issued by Guild president T N Ninan and Secretary Coomi Kapoor said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India