Elderly man arrested for supplying firearms
New Delhi: A 70-year-old man hailing from
Uttar Pradesh, who lost his leg in an accident seven years
ago, was arrested here for allegedly supplying illegal
firearms to criminal gangs, police said on Thursday.
Harpal Singh, who goes by aliases Shakuni and Chacha
Moradabadi, was apprehended from Zakhira bus stand in west
Delhi last evening when he alighted from a bus, V Renganathan,
Additional Commissioner of Police (West), said.
Singh, who hails from Moradabad, was allegedly carrying
nine illegal country-made pistols and many live cartridges.
During investigations of several cases, Renganathan said,
it came to light that firearms used in crime were of same type
and that a gang is much active in west Delhi which supplies it
to criminals. These weapons were brought from UP. Singh was
arrested following a tip-off, he said.
Singh told police that he is into farming but was never
satisfied with his income and came in contact with bad
elements and infamous gangs of Uttar Pradesh.
"He supplied arms and ammunition to these gangs. In the
beginning, he used to supply weapons from his native place. He
was a supplier to Rakesh Hasanpuria gang of UP. After the
death of Rakesh Hasanpuria he came in contact with Shokat Pasa
and Saleem Kana of Seelampur, Renganathan said.
"Seven years ago he met with an accident and lost one of
his legs afterwhich he lost interest in agriculture. During
the past few years, he supplied weapons to hired killers of
Krishan Pehlwan Gang. Mostly he supplied weapons in Seelampur,
Delhi, Madipur, Nangloi, Uttam Nagar and Ranhola," he said.
He allegedly used to purchase countrymade pistols for Rs
2500 each and sold it for Rs 5,000. He also supplied English
pistols for Rs 30,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir