Elderly man arrested for supplying firearms
New Delhi: A 70-year-old man hailing from
Uttar Pradesh, who lost his leg in an accident seven years
ago, was arrested here for allegedly supplying illegal
firearms to criminal gangs, police said on Thursday.
Harpal Singh, who goes by aliases Shakuni and Chacha
Moradabadi, was apprehended from Zakhira bus stand in west
Delhi last evening when he alighted from a bus, V Renganathan,
Additional Commissioner of Police (West), said.
Singh, who hails from Moradabad, was allegedly carrying
nine illegal country-made pistols and many live cartridges.
During investigations of several cases, Renganathan said,
it came to light that firearms used in crime were of same type
and that a gang is much active in west Delhi which supplies it
to criminals. These weapons were brought from UP. Singh was
arrested following a tip-off, he said.
Singh told police that he is into farming but was never
satisfied with his income and came in contact with bad
elements and infamous gangs of Uttar Pradesh.
"He supplied arms and ammunition to these gangs. In the
beginning, he used to supply weapons from his native place. He
was a supplier to Rakesh Hasanpuria gang of UP. After the
death of Rakesh Hasanpuria he came in contact with Shokat Pasa
and Saleem Kana of Seelampur, Renganathan said.
"Seven years ago he met with an accident and lost one of
his legs afterwhich he lost interest in agriculture. During
the past few years, he supplied weapons to hired killers of
Krishan Pehlwan Gang. Mostly he supplied weapons in Seelampur,
Delhi, Madipur, Nangloi, Uttam Nagar and Ranhola," he said.
He allegedly used to purchase countrymade pistols for Rs
2500 each and sold it for Rs 5,000. He also supplied English
pistols for Rs 30,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Mohan Bhagwat's comments on Hindu population are 'outdated': Shiv Sena
- Wow! Google Duo now available in India to make free video calls
- In Goa, Arvind Kejriwal says AAP has no money to fight elections
- Turkish soldier killed in clash with Kurdish militants - security sources
- Amitabh Bachchan set to return as the 'angry man' in 'Sarkar 3'