Elderly man jailed for 4 years for acid attack
New Delhi: A 60-year-old man has been sentenced to four years in jail by a Delhi court for trying to kill a taxi driver by throwing acid on his face.
District Judge O P Gupta awarded the jail term to West Delhi resident Om Prakash, saying the punishment must have a deterrent effect.
"The punishment must be such which has a deterrent effect. Keeping in view the facts and circumstances of the case, I feel the sentence of rigorous imprisonment for four years would meet the ends of justice," the judge said while also imposing a fine of Rs 3,000.
The maximum punishment under the Indian Penal Code for a murder bid is life imprisonment.
Om Prakash, convicted for trying to kill taxi driver Karan Kumar, had sought leniency saying the offence was committed in the spur of the moment and there was no pre-planning.
Kumar had deposed that Om Prakash had thrown acid on his face for washing his taxi in front of his stationary shop on February 28 morning last year.
Prakash had objected to washing of the vehicle in front of his shop and when Kumar did not heed to his objections, the accused brought a mug of acid from his shop and threw it at the victim, the prosecution had said.
By the time Kumar`s neighbours reached the scene of crime on his cries for help, Om Prakash had fled from there.
Kumar received burns on his face, shoulders and chest and was taken to the hospital.
Om Prakash had argued he was falsely implicated in the case as he did not have cordial relations with Kumar, but the court rejected his contention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- How to get MIUI 8 update on Xiaomi smartphone: Check out tutorial
- IT'S DISTURBING: Watch little Syrian girl singing before a bomb explodes
- Planning parenthood through surrogacy? Things you need to know
- When Muslim men chanted `Hindustan Zindabad`, `Pakistan Murdabad` slogans on Hyderabad roads – Watch
- US warns EU ahead of Apple tax evasion ruling