Elderly man jailed for 4 years for acid attack
New Delhi: A 60-year-old man has been sentenced to four years in jail by a Delhi court for trying to kill a taxi driver by throwing acid on his face.
District Judge O P Gupta awarded the jail term to West Delhi resident Om Prakash, saying the punishment must have a deterrent effect.
"The punishment must be such which has a deterrent effect. Keeping in view the facts and circumstances of the case, I feel the sentence of rigorous imprisonment for four years would meet the ends of justice," the judge said while also imposing a fine of Rs 3,000.
The maximum punishment under the Indian Penal Code for a murder bid is life imprisonment.
Om Prakash, convicted for trying to kill taxi driver Karan Kumar, had sought leniency saying the offence was committed in the spur of the moment and there was no pre-planning.
Kumar had deposed that Om Prakash had thrown acid on his face for washing his taxi in front of his stationary shop on February 28 morning last year.
Prakash had objected to washing of the vehicle in front of his shop and when Kumar did not heed to his objections, the accused brought a mug of acid from his shop and threw it at the victim, the prosecution had said.
By the time Kumar`s neighbours reached the scene of crime on his cries for help, Om Prakash had fled from there.
Kumar received burns on his face, shoulders and chest and was taken to the hospital.
Om Prakash had argued he was falsely implicated in the case as he did not have cordial relations with Kumar, but the court rejected his contention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you