Electricity rates likely to go up in Delhi
New Delhi: Electricity rates in the national capital are likely to go up soon with Union Power Ministry turning down a request by Delhi Government to provide cheaper power to the city while private discoms are pushing for a steep hike in tariff due to increasing operational cost.
In February, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had sought financial assistance from the Union Power Ministry to insulate consumers from any possible hike in power tariff due to rise in power purchase cost.
The demand for central assistance by Dikshit came days after power regulator Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission shot off a letter to the Chief Minister seeking bailout package for the private power distribution companies as they were incurring losses.
Delhi government was not in favour of another hike in tariff as assembly elections are due in November this year.
The Centre has expressed inability to ask NTPC to supply power to Delhi at cheaper rates, sources said.
Dikshit had earlier this month indicated raising the tariff for those whose monthly consumption was on the higher side.
"I don`t think why people living in posh localities should not pay more. They should, certainly they should, they can afford to," the Chief Minister had said.
All the three private power distribution companies have been demanding hike in the tariff by up to 13 per cent.
In the letter to Dikshit in February, DERC chairman P Sudhakar had said that the regulator will be forced to hike tariff if the government fail to provide financial assistance to the discoms.
The power tariff in the city was hiked by 22 per cent in 2011 followed by five per cent hike in February last year. The tariff was hiked by up to two per cent in May last year and again by 26 per cent for domestic consumers in July last year.
The BJP and Aam Admi Party have been targeting the Delhi Government for hike in power tariff.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India