Eleven-member gang of robbers smashed in Delhi
New Delhi: Almost every day, they robbed
bus passengers of around Rs 30-50,000 and a number of mobile
phones but luck ran out for 11 members of "Karate" gang in the
capital while they were planning a heist.
The gang members were arrested from Rohini yesterday
following an input that they will gather and conspire to
highjack a bus and rob passengers, Chhaya Sharma, Deputy
Commissioner of Police (Outer), said.
"We laid a trap on the basis of a tip off. One of the
police party overheard the conversation of the gang. They
decided that seven of them would board the bus and the rest
will follow them on TSRs and motorcycles," Sharma said.
The arrested have been identified as Nand Kishore
alias `Karate` (38), Ajid Hussain (34), Man Singh (32), Mukesh
(35), Sanjay (22), Manoj (19), Virender (19), Niraj (22), Ajay
(23), Ram Achal (42) and Sumit (23).
Kishore, previously involved in at least 30 cases,
used to insist that all members should "come prepared" for
committing crime with knives or surgical blades.
"They all used to communicate with each other on
mobiles phones and never visit the house of others. Even they
do not know the addresses of others so that in case of being
apprehended one could not lead to the arrest of others,"
Twenty-nine mobile phones, two autorickshaws, two
motorcycles, ten knives and a surgical blade were recovered
Since the last four months, the gang, on a routine
basis, used to board buses plying between Budh Vihar to
Shivaji Stadium, Manglapuri to Azad Pur, Uttam Nagar to ISBT
and Mangolpuri to Kamla Market and commit pick pocketing,
Sharma said, adding that they operated between 8 am and one pm
and 8 pm and 11 pm.
"On an average, they used to pick pocket or rob Rs
30,000 to 50,000 and a number of mobile phones from bus
passengers on a day," Sharma said.
They allegedly used to flash their weapons to rob and
to make away. "Maximum part of robbed booty was used by them
to gift valuables to their girl friends and spend time with
sex workers," Sharma said.
Hussain, Sumit and Man Singh are auto drivers while
Mukesh is working as a Band Master in Mangolpuri. Bunti and
Neeraj are labourers in a factory while Virender owns an
electric appliances shop.
All of them have been previously involved in crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured