Embarrassment for Antony in RS
New Delhi: Defence Minister A K Antony on Wednesday faced an embarrassing situation in the Rajya Sabha when he laid a corrected version of a statement made in the House last week on the purchase of MiG fighter aircraft, triggering protests from BJP.
Antony, while replying to a question on May 2, had stated that 872 MiG fighters of "various types were purchased between 1966 and 1980".
In his revised statement, he said, "It was inadvertently mentioned in the reply that a total of 872 MiG aircraft of various types were purchased between 1966 and 1980."
This information, he said, "related only to the MiG-21 aircraft" and the "total number of MiG aircraft of different variants including the MiG-21 variant inducted into the Indian Air Force is 1,303."
These were purchased between 1966 and 2004-05, Antony said, adding "The error is regretted."
However, as soon as P J Kurien, who was in the Chair announced during Zero Hour that Antony would make a statement correcting his earlier answer, senior BJP member M Venkaiah Naidu objected to it.
Taking a dig at Antony, he said, "Is it a tamasha (drama) ...Ministers are correcting their statements daily."
Naidu`s party colleague Najma Heptulla joined him, saying "Everyday some Minister is correcting his statement."
They were soon joined by others including Rajiv Pratap Rudy, Prakash Javadekar, Vinay Katiyar and Ravi Shankar Prasad who stood up raising their objections.
An agitated Kurien said, "They are doing their duty by correcting it...You cannot ask the Chair what is the rule...A Minister with prior permission of the Chair can make a statement correcting an answer."
Heptulla sought a directive from the Chair to such Ministers that they they should furnish correct statements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly