Environment Ministry gives clearance to four-lane link
New Delhi: Environment Ministry has
given conditional CRZ clearance for the construction of
elevated four-lane link road from Chennai Port to Maduravoyal
on the outskirts of Chennai city.
"The Expert Appraisal Committee, after due
consideration of the relevant documents submitted by the
project proponent and additional clarifications furnished in
response to its observations, have recommended for the grant
of CRZ Clearance for the project," the Ministry said in an
order released here on Monday.
The Ministry, in its notice to the Chairman of the
Chennai Port Trust, said the clearance is granted subject to
strict compliance of the terms and conditions prescribed under
Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) Notification, 2011.
According to conditions, a high level advisory and
committee should be constituted under the chairmanship of
Tamil Nadu Chief Secretary to monitor the Rs 1,500-crore
project project, proposed in 2007.
While constructing the 19 km link road, considered as
an economic lifeline for the port, the authorities should
provide "necessary mitigate measures against adverse impact to
the water bodies that are to be affected", it said.
The Ministry also directed the Port Trust authorities
to submit the current status of families that need to be
rehabilitated and the action programme to achieve the goal.
The main opponent of the projects AIADMK and CPI
argue that if the project is materialised, eight lakh slum
dwellers will have to be displaced.
Rehabilitation and payment of compensation to the
project affected people (PAPs) should be made as per the
policy of the state and Central governments, it said.
The Ministry clarified that the clearance is subject
to final order of the Supreme Court of India in the matter of
Goa Foundation Vs Union of India.
The link road begins at Chennai Port Gate No 10 and
travels along the bank of the Cooum River till it reaches
Koyambedu and along the median of NH 4 thereon till it reaches
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers