Ethics committee to monitor conduct of Delhi MLAs
New Delhi: For Delhi MLAs -- getting away
with any misconduct will no longer be that easy.
Delhi Assembly speaker Yoganand Shastri today set up
an ethics committee on the lines of Rajya Sabha to prepare a
code of conduct for the legislators and monitor their
activities -- both inside and outside the House.
"The committee will oversee the moral and ethical
conduct of members and make necessary recommendations if any
member is found guilty of breach of conduct," Shastri told
Rajinder Nagar MLA Ramakant Goswami has been appointed
chairman of the nine-member committee. Other members of the
committee included Narendra Nath, Mukesh Sharma, Barkha Singh,
Hari Shankar Gupta, Harsh Vardhan, O P Babbar and Ravindra
Shastri said he has decided to form the committee to
"maintain highest traditions of parliamentary democracy. MLAs
are expected to observe a certain standard of conduct both
inside and out side the House."
Officials said the allegations against BJP MLA from
Bijwasan Satprakash Rana that he had misbehaved with a Delhi
Jal Board engineer has hastened the decision to form the
Rana had allegedly roughed up a DJB engineer in
October last year following which a delegation of the agency
had approached the government to take appropriate action
against the MLA.
Shastri said he has also appointed two new House
committees -- Committee on Welfare of Other Backward Classes
and Committee on Welfare of Minorities.
He said the Committee on Welfare of SC, ST and OBC
earlier examined all issues relating to welfare of minorities
as well as Other Backward Classes.
The speaker also announced names of members of various
other committees including General Purpose Committee, Business
Advisory Committee, Rules Committee, Library Committee,
Committee on Environment, Public Accounts Committee etc.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead