Evidence to arrest hawala kingpin Jain in drugs case: Court
New Delhi: A Delhi court today said
there was "sufficient material" with Narcotics Control Bureau
to arrest alleged hawala kingpin Naresh Kumar Jain for his
reported complicity in international drug trafficking trade.
"The accused has rightly been arrested. There is
sufficient material to effect his arrest under the Narcotics
Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act," Additional
Sessions Judge Sanjiv Jain said.
The court, which extended the judicial remand of Jain
till February 1, trashed his plea that he has "wrongly" been
arrested by NCB, that too at the instance of Enforcement
"The accused is involved in nefarious activities of
drugs trade and money laundering... investigation has revealed
that the proceeds of the drugs trade were being laundered
through hawala banking," Rajesh Manchanda, special public
prosecutor for NCB, told the court.
Jain was being supported by Dubai-based Ahmed Parvez,
a Pakistan national, who is now being prosecuted in Italy, in
the hawala trade, the prosecutor claimed.
Besides NCB, ED has also filed a separate case against
Jain under various provisions of Prevention of Money
Laundering Act (PMLA) for his alleged hawala transactions
relating to proceeds of drugs trade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video