Ex-BJP MPs` bail in cash-for-vote scam opposed
New Delhi: The Delhi police on Tuesday opposed the
interim bail pleas of two former BJP MPs, involved in the
cash-for-vote scam, saying that they have committed grave
offence by "manipulating" the democratic set-up of the
"The way democratic institutions have been manipulated,
no offence is more grave than this. Every citizen is affected
by it," public prosecutor Rajeev Mohan told Special Judge
Sangita Dhingra Sehgal.
The prosecutor said the "enormity and gravity" of the
offence, committed by Faggan Singh Kulaste and Mahabir Singh
Bhagora is a ground good enough to deny bail to them.
To buttress his argument, he cited a high court judgment
which denied bail to DMK MP Kanimozhi in the 2G scam case
observing that enormity and gravity of the offence do not call
for grant of bail.
He said Kulaste and Bhagora have appeared before the
court in response to the summons issued by it and the
situation in this case is similar to that of Kanimozhi.
He added that the charges against the accused in both the
cases are also similar.
The prosecutor said once a accused surrenders before a
court, he is deemed to be in custody and the situation is
similar in both the cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India