Ex-BJP MPs` bail in cash-for-vote scam opposed
New Delhi: The Delhi police on Tuesday opposed the
interim bail pleas of two former BJP MPs, involved in the
cash-for-vote scam, saying that they have committed grave
offence by "manipulating" the democratic set-up of the
"The way democratic institutions have been manipulated,
no offence is more grave than this. Every citizen is affected
by it," public prosecutor Rajeev Mohan told Special Judge
Sangita Dhingra Sehgal.
The prosecutor said the "enormity and gravity" of the
offence, committed by Faggan Singh Kulaste and Mahabir Singh
Bhagora is a ground good enough to deny bail to them.
To buttress his argument, he cited a high court judgment
which denied bail to DMK MP Kanimozhi in the 2G scam case
observing that enormity and gravity of the offence do not call
for grant of bail.
He said Kulaste and Bhagora have appeared before the
court in response to the summons issued by it and the
situation in this case is similar to that of Kanimozhi.
He added that the charges against the accused in both the
cases are also similar.
The prosecutor said once a accused surrenders before a
court, he is deemed to be in custody and the situation is
similar in both the cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray