Ex-CJIs favour constitutional status for Lokpal
New Delhi: Two former Chief Justices of
India today favoured constitutional status for the proposed
Lokpal as they appeared before a Parliamentary committee
scrutinising the Bill.
Justice JS Verma and Justice MN Venkatachalaiah
expressed this view before the Parliamentary Standing
Committee on Law and Justice whose Chairman Abhishek Singhvi
said "all issues" were under its consideration.
"We put across a firm commitment to have a strong
Lokpal, because a constitutional Lokpal would be the strongest
one can think of," Justice Verma told reporters after the
He said the details can be worked out under the law
which is required to be enacted thereafter by Parliament.
When asked whether, according to his opinion, bodies
like CVC can be included in the Lokpal, he said "that includes
everything," without elaborating.
Justice Venkatachalaiah said he suggested to the
Standing Committee the "desirability" of having the "strongest
Lokpal regime...legal framework, constitutional framework.
Then the details could be worked out."
He said he supported constitutional status for the
Singhvi, a senior Congress leader, said all matters were
under the panel`s consideration, including granting
constitutional status to the anti-corruption watchdog.
"All issues are open. All matters are under consideration
and the fun is in the mystery," he said when asked whether the
issue of constitutional status for Lokpal was under its
Union Law and Justice Minister Salman Khurshid on Tuesday
said that Government intends to make the proposed Lokpal a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video