Ex-CJIs favour constitutional status for Lokpal
New Delhi: Two former Chief Justices of
India today favoured constitutional status for the proposed
Lokpal as they appeared before a Parliamentary committee
scrutinising the Bill.
Justice JS Verma and Justice MN Venkatachalaiah
expressed this view before the Parliamentary Standing
Committee on Law and Justice whose Chairman Abhishek Singhvi
said "all issues" were under its consideration.
"We put across a firm commitment to have a strong
Lokpal, because a constitutional Lokpal would be the strongest
one can think of," Justice Verma told reporters after the
He said the details can be worked out under the law
which is required to be enacted thereafter by Parliament.
When asked whether, according to his opinion, bodies
like CVC can be included in the Lokpal, he said "that includes
everything," without elaborating.
Justice Venkatachalaiah said he suggested to the
Standing Committee the "desirability" of having the "strongest
Lokpal regime...legal framework, constitutional framework.
Then the details could be worked out."
He said he supported constitutional status for the
Singhvi, a senior Congress leader, said all matters were
under the panel`s consideration, including granting
constitutional status to the anti-corruption watchdog.
"All issues are open. All matters are under consideration
and the fun is in the mystery," he said when asked whether the
issue of constitutional status for Lokpal was under its
Union Law and Justice Minister Salman Khurshid on Tuesday
said that Government intends to make the proposed Lokpal a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM