Ex-cop defends Sajjan, says none died in ‘84 riot
New Delhi: A former Delhi police constable,
deposing as a defence witness in a 1984 anti-Sikh riot case
involving former Congress MP Sajjan Kumar, today told a Delhi
court that he was on duty during those tumultuous days and he
did not come across any report of any killing or rioting.
Sajjan Kumar, along with five others, is facing trial for
allegedly instigating a mob which killed six persons in Delhi
Cantonment area during the riots in the wake of the
assassination of erstwhile Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
75-year-old Chajju Ram, while deposing in defence of
Kumar before Additional Sessions Judge Sunita Gupta said that
during October 31, 1984, and November 6, 1984, it never came
to his notice that "any Sikh in the (Raj Nagar-II) locality
was killed or Sikhs` houses were looted and ransacked."
"It never came to my notice that any dead body was found
on the road," said Chajju Ram, claiming "he had been on duty
for all the five days without a break and a wink."
Maintaining that he was posted at Palam police post
during those days, Chajju Ram said he did not notice any burnt
house, dead bodies or ransacked houses in the area during his
Countering Chajju Ram`s deposition, riot victims` counsel
HS Phoolka said that according to GT Nanavati Commission
report, the official casualty figures shows that during the
riots 341 persons were killed, while 385 houses, 110 shops and
45 vehicles were burnt in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy