Ex-cop defends Sajjan, says none died in ‘84 riot
New Delhi: A former Delhi police constable,
deposing as a defence witness in a 1984 anti-Sikh riot case
involving former Congress MP Sajjan Kumar, today told a Delhi
court that he was on duty during those tumultuous days and he
did not come across any report of any killing or rioting.
Sajjan Kumar, along with five others, is facing trial for
allegedly instigating a mob which killed six persons in Delhi
Cantonment area during the riots in the wake of the
assassination of erstwhile Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
75-year-old Chajju Ram, while deposing in defence of
Kumar before Additional Sessions Judge Sunita Gupta said that
during October 31, 1984, and November 6, 1984, it never came
to his notice that "any Sikh in the (Raj Nagar-II) locality
was killed or Sikhs` houses were looted and ransacked."
"It never came to my notice that any dead body was found
on the road," said Chajju Ram, claiming "he had been on duty
for all the five days without a break and a wink."
Maintaining that he was posted at Palam police post
during those days, Chajju Ram said he did not notice any burnt
house, dead bodies or ransacked houses in the area during his
Countering Chajju Ram`s deposition, riot victims` counsel
HS Phoolka said that according to GT Nanavati Commission
report, the official casualty figures shows that during the
riots 341 persons were killed, while 385 houses, 110 shops and
45 vehicles were burnt in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them