Ex-Kerala CM Achuthanandan turns 90, vows to fight Chandy
Thiruvananthapuram: Former Kerala chief minister V.S.Achuthanandan celebrated his 90th birthday Sunday and said he will not sit idle and continue "tirades against Chief Minister Oommen Chandy".
Achuthanandan began Sunday with a brief morning walk at his official residence in the city and then attended to congratulatory phone calls from fellow comrades and ministers, wishing him a long life.
Among the callers were CPI-M leader Prakash Karat, Defence Minister A.K.Antony and Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi. State Finance Minister K.M.Mani came to wish him at his home.
Addressing the media at his residence, he said his tirades against corruption and anti-people policies will continue.
"I will not sit idle and will continue my tirades against Chief Minister Oommen Chandy who is now caught in the solar scam (in the state) and is trying to wriggle out through dubious ways. He has to resign and face a judicial probe and I will be at it till he does that," said Achuthanandan.
Accompanied by his family members, Achuthanandan then cut a cake. Payasam was served to all the people, including the media, who had come to greet him.
The cameras clicked as he had a glass of payasam and as his wife handed over a towel to wipe his face.
Achuthanandan began his political career through the trade unions and joined the Congress in 1939. He joined the Communist Party of India Marxist (CPI-M) in 1964.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown