Ex-MEA official sent to 4 yrs in jail for corruption
New Delhi: A former woman official of the Ministry of External Affairs has been sentenced to four years in jail by a Delhi court for misappropriating nearly Rs 42,000 of government fund.
Special CBI Judge Gurvinder Pal Singh held 56-year-old Priti Chakravarty, who was posted as accountant-cum-cashier in the Old External Affairs Hostel (OEAH) of the MEA, guilty of offences punishable under the IPC and the Prevention of Corruption Act.
The CBI had charge-sheeted Chakravarty alleging that from March 2003 to May 2007 during her posting in OEAH, consisting of several residential suites, discrepancies were found in the maintenance of cash and accounts records.
The CBI said special inspection was conducted in June 2007 by audit team and MEA officers and it was revealed there was a short fall in deposit of cash with Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and the audit revealed that as against the amount of licence fee/rent collected by Chakravarty, a sum of Rs 1,26,849 had been misappropriated by her.
It said she used to receive rent/licence fee from the OEAH occupants, issue receipts, prepare bills and challans for deposit of cash and enter the cash deposits into cash books.
It alleged she was the sole accountant-cum-cashier in OEAH and had received cash against receipts but did not deposit it with the concerned bank.
The court held Chakravarty guilty for misappropriating Rs 41,879 saying that she put the government exchequer to loss "compromising with the economy of the nation".
"Convict (Chakravarty) gave supremacy to illegal personal gains putting the government exchequer at loss to the tune of Rs 41,879. No glimpse of remorse was visible on the face of the convict. Over all entire nation is suffering on account of misdeeds of such offenders who put the government exchequer to such loss compromising with the economy of the nation," it said, also imposing a fine of Rs 20,000 on her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing