Ex-senior CWC official sent to 4 years jail in corruption case
New Delhi: A former official of the Central Water Commission (CWC) has been sentenced to four years in jail by a Delhi court for illegally getting issued official cheques in the name of his family members.
J P Sharma, 71, the then Deputy Director of CWC, was convicted for cheating and using forged documents as genuine under IPC and for offences under Prevention of Corruption Act.
The court also imposed a fine of Rs one lakh on him saying Sharma "lacked total integrity and commitment to his own department."
Special Judge Dharmesh Sharma, however, acquitted eight other accused, including the convict`s wife, daughter and two sons, saying the convict violated the "sacred duties" towards his family and acted in a "diabolical manner in roping in his family members in the crime without their full knowledge".
"This case stands on a different footing. The convict J P Sharma was a husband, father, guardian and protector in a pious relationship of utter trust and faith with his family members but his conduct shows that he violated his sacred duties...So much so that they (Sharma`s family members) have to undergo the ignominy of trial for about 8 years," the judge said.
The court said it appeared that in the entire sequence of events the poor wife, daughter and two sons had hardly any say and had been taken for a ride by him.
Besides the convict`s four family members -- Trivesh Sharma, Gyanender Sharma, Pushpa Sharma and Sunita Mishra, the court also let off four other CWC officials Y P Sharma, Dominic Dung Dung, S K Aggarwal and N R Suman, all of whom were made accused in the case by CBI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31