Extortion racket running from Tihar busted, seven held
New Delhi: The Special Cell of Delhi Police on Sunday claimed to have busted an extortion racket being run from inside Tihar Jail here with the arrest of its seven members.
"A team of Special Cell led by Inspector Brahmjeet Singh under the supervision of ACP Ved Prakash, has busted an extortion racket being operated from Tihar Jail. Seven persons involved in the crime have been arrested.
"They had hatched a conspiracy to extort Rs 50 lakhs from a businessman in Bawana, Delhi," DCP, Special Cell, Sanjeev Kumar Yadav told reporters here.
Two of the accused were arrested on July 16 after a trap was laid on the basis of a tip-off, Yadav said, adding that one .32 bore and a country-made pistol were recovered from them.
The remaining five gang members were already lodged in Tihar Jail in connection with various cases.
During interrogation, the accused revealed how the whole operation to extort Rs 50 lakh from the businessman was planned and executed, he said, adding that police had started investigating the case after an FIR was lodged by the businessman`s servant.
They had also fired shots at the businessman`s establishment to scare him while delivering the extortion note.
Meanwhile, further probes into the case are on, the DCP added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!