Extortion racket running from Tihar busted, seven held
New Delhi: The Special Cell of Delhi Police on Sunday claimed to have busted an extortion racket being run from inside Tihar Jail here with the arrest of its seven members.
"A team of Special Cell led by Inspector Brahmjeet Singh under the supervision of ACP Ved Prakash, has busted an extortion racket being operated from Tihar Jail. Seven persons involved in the crime have been arrested.
"They had hatched a conspiracy to extort Rs 50 lakhs from a businessman in Bawana, Delhi," DCP, Special Cell, Sanjeev Kumar Yadav told reporters here.
Two of the accused were arrested on July 16 after a trap was laid on the basis of a tip-off, Yadav said, adding that one .32 bore and a country-made pistol were recovered from them.
The remaining five gang members were already lodged in Tihar Jail in connection with various cases.
During interrogation, the accused revealed how the whole operation to extort Rs 50 lakh from the businessman was planned and executed, he said, adding that police had started investigating the case after an FIR was lodged by the businessman`s servant.
They had also fired shots at the businessman`s establishment to scare him while delivering the extortion note.
Meanwhile, further probes into the case are on, the DCP added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video