Fake caste certificate scam: 2 DU staff arrested
New Delhi: Two employees of Delhi University`s SC/ST cell were arrested here for their alleged links with a racket involved in helping students get admission
in colleges on the basis of fake caste certificates.
The arrested have been identified as Neeraj and Sanjeet, a senior police official said.
The racket led by Himanshu Gupta allegedly managed to secure admissions for 12 students, including four girls, this admission season in eight colleges and was smashed by Delhi Police`s Crime Branch on June 23 with the arrest of three
youths, including a contract employee in a tehsildar office.
"The interrogation of the three persons led to the arrest of two DU employees," the official said.
Those arrested on June 23 were Himanshu (26) and his associates Vikas (24) and Ketan Gupta (24), who is a data entry operator on contract basis at Mehrauli tehsildar office.
On the modus operandi, the official said, Himanshu and Vikas floated an educational consultancy firm and advertised in leading newspapers in Delhi and other cities about facilitating admissions. They charged Rs 3-5 lakh for getting
a student admitted in the college of their choice.
In this academic session, 10 forged caste certificates shown as issued from the office of Tehsildar in Mehrauli, were allegedly prepared by Ketan.
"Data of the forged certificates was uploaded by Ketan on the official website so that if anybody checked its authenticity, the same could be verified from the official
website. Three forged caste certificates shown as issued from the office of Tehsildar in Ghaziabad were prepared by one of their associates Satish who is absconding," he said.
The gang was operating since 2008. In the previous years, they have secured admission of students in Delhi University on the basis of forged caste certificates which were shown to have been issued in Ghaziabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof