Fake caste certificate scam: 2 DU staff arrested
New Delhi: Two employees of Delhi University`s SC/ST cell were arrested here for their alleged links with a racket involved in helping students get admission
in colleges on the basis of fake caste certificates.
The arrested have been identified as Neeraj and Sanjeet, a senior police official said.
The racket led by Himanshu Gupta allegedly managed to secure admissions for 12 students, including four girls, this admission season in eight colleges and was smashed by Delhi Police`s Crime Branch on June 23 with the arrest of three
youths, including a contract employee in a tehsildar office.
"The interrogation of the three persons led to the arrest of two DU employees," the official said.
Those arrested on June 23 were Himanshu (26) and his associates Vikas (24) and Ketan Gupta (24), who is a data entry operator on contract basis at Mehrauli tehsildar office.
On the modus operandi, the official said, Himanshu and Vikas floated an educational consultancy firm and advertised in leading newspapers in Delhi and other cities about facilitating admissions. They charged Rs 3-5 lakh for getting
a student admitted in the college of their choice.
In this academic session, 10 forged caste certificates shown as issued from the office of Tehsildar in Mehrauli, were allegedly prepared by Ketan.
"Data of the forged certificates was uploaded by Ketan on the official website so that if anybody checked its authenticity, the same could be verified from the official
website. Three forged caste certificates shown as issued from the office of Tehsildar in Ghaziabad were prepared by one of their associates Satish who is absconding," he said.
The gang was operating since 2008. In the previous years, they have secured admission of students in Delhi University on the basis of forged caste certificates which were shown to have been issued in Ghaziabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion