Family of five `jump` to death into Yamuna
Mathura: A 35-year-old school teacher allegedly jumped into the Yamuna River along with his wife and three minor daughters, but their bodies are yet to be found, even as the reason behind the family taking the extreme step is still unknown, police said Tuesday.
"Amar Singh (35) along with his wife Meena (30), daughters Ekta (8), Anupma (5) and Aditi (3) allegedly jumped into the Yamuna river from Shergadh bridge here yesterday," police said, adding that the reasons behind the victims taking the step is yet to be ascertained.
According to the police, Singh, was a primary school teacher and hailed from Karwan village of Palwal district in Haryana.
He had called up a colleague and a relative yesterday to tell them that he was depressed and was going to take the extreme step, along with his wife and three daughters.
"The relative rushed to the bridge but found only Singh`s bike and footwear of the family members there. He then informed us," they said.
"Divers were sent to fish out the bodies, but could not find them," police said, adding that they will continue with the search today.
"Till we find the bodies of the victims we can`t say that they committed suicide," said police.
Deputy Superintendent of Police RK Gautam confirmed that the Dalit teacher first threw his three minor daughters and then committed suicide along with his wife Meena by plunging in to the river.
"Their dead bodies could not be recovered so far in spite of using the services of police as well as private divers. A suicide note has been recovered, however, no reason has been mentioned in it for committing suicide," the DSP said.
Gautam said the divers tried to recover the bodies last night but could not succeed as the river was swollen due to heavy rains, deferring the rescue operation till morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- LeT chief Lakhvi`s son was gunned down by Indian troops in Kashmir: David Headley