Fans throng houses of Delhi players to greet families
New Delhi: Celebrations spilled over to
another day on Sunday at the houses of Delhi lads -- Virender
Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Virat Kohli and Ashish Nehra -- as
fans poured to congratulate the families for the World Cup
A large number of people gathered outside Gambhir`s
residence in Rajendra Nagar in central Delhi this morning
bursting crackers and some enthusiastic fans distributing
The Delhi-four will receive an extra Rs one crore from
the city government with Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit
deciding to honour the Delhi players as well as captain M S
"Happiness cannot be expressed in words. We have
announced a prize money of Rs one crore for the four players
and Dhoni will be given Rs two crore because he led the team
and we won under his captaincy. I believe he is not just a
good player but also a sorted person," Dikshit said.
Gambhir`s decisive 97 run knock had put the team in
the driver`s seat in the cliffhanger finals yesterday in
Mumbai when India decimated Sri Lanka at Wankhade stadium in
The fans, mostly his neighbours, were singing paeans
of his batting saying he was the "real hero" of the finals.
Gambhir`s parents, Deepak and Seema, said they
couldn`t have asked for anything better from their son.
"This team has played very well," said Deepak while
Seema added, "Gautam is a great player. I have no regrets
about him missing the century. Today he was playing for the
team. Everybody has to contribute. This is amazing."
Said Anand Sharma, who stays a few blocks away from
Gambhir`s residence, "We were here last night and we are here
again. We cannot stop celebrating. What a feat and our
neighbour is a national hero now."
Middle-order batsman Kohli`s mother Saroj said the
feeling is yet to sink in that her son was a part of a World
Cup winning squad.
"I am very happy. In fact I don`t have words to
describe how I am feeling. I can`t believe what has happened.
We will celebrate once he comes home," she said. Kohli resides
in west Delhi`s Paschim Vihar.
Euphoric scenes were witnessed in Najafgarh from where
Sehwag belongs to as fans hit the streets taking out impromptu
Sehwag`s wife Aarti said she was so nervous watching
the match that she saw only the last 15 overs of the Indian
"I was very excited. I switched off the TV after he
(Sehwag) got out. Switched it on only in the last 15 overs.
But I had the intuition that we would win the World Cup," she
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Fresh FIR against Radhe Maa on complaint by Dolly Bindra
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?