‘Farakka barrage gates to be replaced in 5 yrs’
New Delhi: All gates of Farakka barrage will be replaced in the next five years, of which 33 most vulnerable ones will be replaced "immediately", Water Resource Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal on Wednesday said.
He said in the Rajya Sabha that maintenance of the Farakka barrage would be stepped up.
"It is our plan that 33 most vulnerable gates will be replaced immediately for which tender has been floated...And all gates will be replaced in the next five years," he said.
Replying to discussion initiated by D Bandopadhyay (AITC) on `water leakage in Farakka dam`, Bansal said it would be government`s endeavour to "ensure that such things does not recur".
The dam has been in news after two sluice gates were reported to have collapsed.
The issue was raised by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee when she met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh here on February 22, demanding immediate repair of the two broken gates through which 80 per cent water was flowing to Bangladesh.
The Centre ordered an inquiry to ascertain the reasons for the breakage of the two gates and the delay in repairs.
Bansal refuted suggestions of any ulterior motive behind the incident, saying there was "no question of anyone colluding with anyone. If you have any suspicion, please remove it from your mind".
He said repair work of the gates were taken up right from the day of the breakage but there was delay owing to several factors including resistance from trade unions there holding conflicting interests.
"The work is complex and humongous in nature" given the size of the barrage, he said.
Bansal, however, noted that incidents of gates collapsing had taken place earlier also in 1998, 2007 and 2008.
He said the repair work to restore the two gates were completed in April this year and "the work has been done to the satisfaction of everyone".
He said that as far as protection and maintenance are concerned, "we have to step up our efforts".
Bansal agreed with the member that siltation was a "major problem" but said the anti-erosion work has extended both in the up-stream and down-stream.
Pradip Bhattacharya (Cong), Prashanta Chatterjee (CPI-M), Sukhendu Sekhar Roy (AITC) and Anil Sahani (JD-U) participated in the discussion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues