‘Federalism shouldn`t be sacrificed to fight terror`
New Delhi: Leader of the Opposition in Rajya
Sabha Arun Jaitley on Friday said federalism should not be
sacrificed in the fight against terror and suggested the
Centre take along the states in the functioning of the
National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC).
"The fight against terrorism must co-exist with
federalism. Both must co-exist. You cannot sacrifice
federalism while combating terrorism," Jaitley said.
Seven chief ministers, including UPA ally TMC head
Mamta Banerjee, have opposed NCTC. Others include Gujarat
CM Narendra Modi, Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa and Orissa CM
In its defence, the Centre said there was no need to talk
to the states on NCTC issue.
Jaitley countered the Centre`s contention, saying law
and order is a state subject and the states should be involved
by the Centre in dealing with terrorist activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?
- Storms, lightning and heavy rains in Uttar Pradesh; at least 12 dead