‘Federalism shouldn`t be sacrificed to fight terror`
New Delhi: Leader of the Opposition in Rajya
Sabha Arun Jaitley on Friday said federalism should not be
sacrificed in the fight against terror and suggested the
Centre take along the states in the functioning of the
National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC).
"The fight against terrorism must co-exist with
federalism. Both must co-exist. You cannot sacrifice
federalism while combating terrorism," Jaitley said.
Seven chief ministers, including UPA ally TMC head
Mamta Banerjee, have opposed NCTC. Others include Gujarat
CM Narendra Modi, Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa and Orissa CM
In its defence, the Centre said there was no need to talk
to the states on NCTC issue.
Jaitley countered the Centre`s contention, saying law
and order is a state subject and the states should be involved
by the Centre in dealing with terrorist activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das