‘Federalism shouldn`t be sacrificed to fight terror`
New Delhi: Leader of the Opposition in Rajya
Sabha Arun Jaitley on Friday said federalism should not be
sacrificed in the fight against terror and suggested the
Centre take along the states in the functioning of the
National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC).
"The fight against terrorism must co-exist with
federalism. Both must co-exist. You cannot sacrifice
federalism while combating terrorism," Jaitley said.
Seven chief ministers, including UPA ally TMC head
Mamta Banerjee, have opposed NCTC. Others include Gujarat
CM Narendra Modi, Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa and Orissa CM
In its defence, the Centre said there was no need to talk
to the states on NCTC issue.
Jaitley countered the Centre`s contention, saying law
and order is a state subject and the states should be involved
by the Centre in dealing with terrorist activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Anushka Sharma slaps ‘Sultan’ Salman Khan?
- Katrina Kaif’s views on ‘intolerance’ in the country - Here's what the actress said