`Feed hospital names in GPS of PCR vans`
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Thursday directed the city government to feed the names of hospitals in the GPS of PCR vans so that policemen on duty are able to shift victims of rape and people injured in road accidents to nearby hospitals immediately.
"For effective implementation of our earlier order, the Information Technology department of Delhi government is directed to expedite the process to plot names and details of hospitals in the GPS of all PCR vans," said a bench headed by Chief Justice D Murugesan.
The court also directed the city police to ensure within 24 hours that all PCR vans were supplied with the list of hospitals (zonal wise).
The counsel for Delhi Police assured that the zonal wise list of hospitals would be furnished to the PCR vans concerned in the next 24 hours and once the names are plotted in the tracking units of PCR vans then the policemen on duty would get to know the names of nearby hospitals, nursing homes and clinics and take the victims without any delay.
"... Without any further delay, details of the hospitals to be furnished to the PCR vans in 24 hours," the bench also comprising Justice V K Jain said.
Meanwhile, Additional Solicitor General Rajeeve Mehra sought four weeks time for the central government to consider the recommendations of Justice Usha Mehra committee, set up after December 16 gangrape, to make Delhi and NCR safer for women.
The bench now fixed April 25 as the next date for further hearing of the case.
Taking suo motu cognisance of the December 16 gangrape of the 23-year-old paramedical student, it had earlier directed the city government to issue directions to all hospitals in the capital not to deny treatment to victims.
The court had taken exception to the act of police and other authorities for alleged delay in rushing the gangrape victim to a hospital which was far away from where she had been dumped by her assailants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender