Festivity, colours mark Holi in capital
New Delhi: Colours of all hues, the smell of `gulal` and joyous spirit pervaded the streets on Wednesday as Delhiites came out to celebrate Holi in the capital.
Revellers exchanged greetings with each other to celebrate the festival of colours. People visited friends and relatives, gifted `gujia` (a traditional sweet) besides smearing `gulal` on each other`s faces.
President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh greeted people on Holi and expressed hope that the festival will strengthen faith in national values and promote oneness and harmony.
"On the joyous occasion of Holi, I convey my greetings and good wishes to all my fellow countrymen. This festival which marks the advent of spring, is a harbinger of joy, hope and fulfilment for all," the President said in his greetings.
The Prime Minister said the festival of colours is the celebration of "life and goodness and gives opportunity to strengthen the spirit of brotherhood."
Children enjoyed the most as they sprayed coloured water using water guns and hurled water-filled balloons on people from their rooftops.
In the national capital, police personnel were deployed across the city. Police had issued warning against hooliganism in the guise of revelries.
Commuters faced inconveniences in the morning as the public transport, such as buses and metro were shut till late afternoon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video