Festivity, colours mark Holi in capital
New Delhi: Colours of all hues, the smell of `gulal` and joyous spirit pervaded the streets on Wednesday as Delhiites came out to celebrate Holi in the capital.
Revellers exchanged greetings with each other to celebrate the festival of colours. People visited friends and relatives, gifted `gujia` (a traditional sweet) besides smearing `gulal` on each other`s faces.
President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh greeted people on Holi and expressed hope that the festival will strengthen faith in national values and promote oneness and harmony.
"On the joyous occasion of Holi, I convey my greetings and good wishes to all my fellow countrymen. This festival which marks the advent of spring, is a harbinger of joy, hope and fulfilment for all," the President said in his greetings.
The Prime Minister said the festival of colours is the celebration of "life and goodness and gives opportunity to strengthen the spirit of brotherhood."
Children enjoyed the most as they sprayed coloured water using water guns and hurled water-filled balloons on people from their rooftops.
In the national capital, police personnel were deployed across the city. Police had issued warning against hooliganism in the guise of revelries.
Commuters faced inconveniences in the morning as the public transport, such as buses and metro were shut till late afternoon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- PHOTOS: BRUTAL! Randy Orton receives 10 staples after Brock Lesnar's assault at SummerSlam
- Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag appeals for peace in Kashmir
- Start dialogue process for peace in Kashmir, Ghulam Nabi Azad tells government
- Preggers Kareena Kapoor Khan to be Sabyasachi's showstopper at LFW finale?
- This is what Arvind Kejriwal said for PM Narendra Modi after sedition case against Ramya