File fresh affidavit over social networking sites: HC to Centre
New Delhi: The Centre was on Monday directed by the Delhi High Court to file a fresh affidavit on a plea questioning how children below the age of 18 years are allowed to open account on social networking sites including Facebook even though Indian laws do not permit it.
A bench of justices B D Ahmed and Vibhu Bakhru asked Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Rajeeve Mehra, Centre`s counsel, to file by May 22 the affidavit addressing specific queries raised in its earlier order as to how under age children have entered into agreements with social networking sites.
The order came after petitioner counsel Virag Gupta contended that the government in its affidavit has not mentioned anything about the query raised by the court in its earlier hearing.
He argued that the affidavit has stated that social networking sites do not permit children below 13 years of age to open accounts or access their websites.
They generally verify the age and obtain permission of parents of the children below 13 years of age as per the laws of the country (US) where they are registered and their server are located.
"However, the technology does not offer any techniques to verify the age of a person logging into the Internet and social media sites online," as per the affidavit.
The bench was hearing the plea of former BJP ideologue K N Govindacharya which also sought recovery of taxes from the websites on their income from operations in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!