File fresh affidavit over social networking sites: HC to Centre
New Delhi: The Centre was on Monday directed by the Delhi High Court to file a fresh affidavit on a plea questioning how children below the age of 18 years are allowed to open account on social networking sites including Facebook even though Indian laws do not permit it.
A bench of justices B D Ahmed and Vibhu Bakhru asked Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Rajeeve Mehra, Centre`s counsel, to file by May 22 the affidavit addressing specific queries raised in its earlier order as to how under age children have entered into agreements with social networking sites.
The order came after petitioner counsel Virag Gupta contended that the government in its affidavit has not mentioned anything about the query raised by the court in its earlier hearing.
He argued that the affidavit has stated that social networking sites do not permit children below 13 years of age to open accounts or access their websites.
They generally verify the age and obtain permission of parents of the children below 13 years of age as per the laws of the country (US) where they are registered and their server are located.
"However, the technology does not offer any techniques to verify the age of a person logging into the Internet and social media sites online," as per the affidavit.
The bench was hearing the plea of former BJP ideologue K N Govindacharya which also sought recovery of taxes from the websites on their income from operations in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming