Filing of nominations for Cong chief`s election on Sept 1 or 2
New Delhi: The filing of nominations for the
election of Sonia Gandhi as the Congress President for a
record fourth term is likely to be held either on September 1
The last date for filing nominations is September 2 and
party sources say that several sets of nomination papers would
be filed on behalf of Gandhi either on that day or a day
earlier. Janmashtmi falls on September 2.
The process for the election was set into motion today
with the issue of notification.
As per the schedule for the election finalised recently
at a meeting of the Congress Working Committee (CWC), scrutiny
of nominations will be held on September 3, last date of
withdrawal is September 10, and date of polls, if necessary,
is September 17.
Counting of votes will be held on September 21.
This is also the schedule for the election of the PCC
presidents in various states.
Gandhi has created a record of having the longest tenure
as Congress chief by steering the party since April 1998 when
she replaced the late Sitaram Kesri.
Only once she had to face a contest with senior leader
Jitendra Prasada throwing his hat in the ring a decade back
but she had defeated him in the election.
Unanimous re-election of Gandhi, who is also the UPA
Chairperson, is a foregone conclusion.
PCC delegates, who constitute a total of 7946, are the
electoral collage for the Congress President`s election, which
is held in Delhi as also in state headquarters.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and several senior leaders
and Union Ministers including Pranab Mukherjee as also PCC
Presidents are expected to file nominations on Gandhi`s
Senior party leader Oscar Fernandes is the chairman of
the Central Election Authority of the party which oversees the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Bankruptcy law credit positive for banks: Moody's
- Indonesia's Mount Sinabung continues eruption
- Congress, BJP quote Mirza Ghalib to spar over Modi govt's two years in power
- Renault forays into pre-owned car biz in India
- When Luna the husky demanded belly rubs during car ride – Watch the adorable moment!