Fine imposed on Patkar for not appearing in defamation cases
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Thursday imposed fine
on Narmada Bachao Aandolan (NBA) leader Medha Patkar for
failing to appear before it in connection with two
cross-defamation cases filed by her and an Ahmedabad-based man
against each other.
Metropolitan Magistrate Munish Markan imposed a fine of
Rs 5,000 on Patkar in a case lodged by her against V K
Saxena, President of Ahmedabad-based NGO National Council For
A cost of Rs 200 was imposed on the NBA leader in another
defamation case filed against her by Saxena.
The counsel, appearing for Patkar, sought exemption from
her personal appearance saying "she could not catch a flight
from Indore due to her busy schedule."
However, O P Malaviya, counsel of Saxena, opposed the
plea of Patkar on the ground that it was not supported by any
Though the case, filed by Saxena, was transferred from
Ahmedabad to New Delhi by the Supreme Court on the plea of
Patkar, she has not been attending the court proceedings
regularly, Malviya said, adding that earlier also, the cost
had been imposed on her for the same reason.
The court fixed the matter for May six.
It had earlier imposed a fine of Rs 1,000 in each of
the two cases after rejecting Patkar`s plea seeking exemption
from personal appearance.
The NBA activist had filed a criminal defamation case in
Delhi against Saxena in 2000 for allegedly publishing
advertisements against her and the activities of NBA.
Saxena had also filed a defamation case against Patkar at
Ahmedabad, which was later transferred to Delhi by the Supreme
Court after the NBA leader said she feared for her life in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends