Fine imposed on Patkar for not appearing in defamation cases
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Thursday imposed fine
on Narmada Bachao Aandolan (NBA) leader Medha Patkar for
failing to appear before it in connection with two
cross-defamation cases filed by her and an Ahmedabad-based man
against each other.
Metropolitan Magistrate Munish Markan imposed a fine of
Rs 5,000 on Patkar in a case lodged by her against V K
Saxena, President of Ahmedabad-based NGO National Council For
A cost of Rs 200 was imposed on the NBA leader in another
defamation case filed against her by Saxena.
The counsel, appearing for Patkar, sought exemption from
her personal appearance saying "she could not catch a flight
from Indore due to her busy schedule."
However, O P Malaviya, counsel of Saxena, opposed the
plea of Patkar on the ground that it was not supported by any
Though the case, filed by Saxena, was transferred from
Ahmedabad to New Delhi by the Supreme Court on the plea of
Patkar, she has not been attending the court proceedings
regularly, Malviya said, adding that earlier also, the cost
had been imposed on her for the same reason.
The court fixed the matter for May six.
It had earlier imposed a fine of Rs 1,000 in each of
the two cases after rejecting Patkar`s plea seeking exemption
from personal appearance.
The NBA activist had filed a criminal defamation case in
Delhi against Saxena in 2000 for allegedly publishing
advertisements against her and the activities of NBA.
Saxena had also filed a defamation case against Patkar at
Ahmedabad, which was later transferred to Delhi by the Supreme
Court after the NBA leader said she feared for her life in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Analysing the murder mystery of Sheena Bora case- Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack