Fine on Tata motors for bus mishaps, uproar in assembly
New Delhi: Delhi government today imposed a
hefty fine of Rs four crore on Tata Motors for "not properly"
maintaining its low-floor buses in the city even as BJP
created stormy scenes in the Assembly slamming it for six
incidents of these vehicles catching fire in a span of just
As part of punitive measures, the government has also
decided to withhold a payment of Rs 150 crore to the Tatas for
supplying 390 buses and warned of legal action if corrective
steps were not taken by the automobile giant.
Under attack for the mishaps, Chief Minister Sheila
Dikshit said the government had "strongly warned" the Tata
officials to ensure that such incidents do not happen in
In the evening, Dikshit held a high-level meeting with
top Tata Motors officials where the company was given 45 days
time to carry out "a bumper to bumper" technical checking of
all the buses supplied by the company.
"We will take very strong action against them if they
fail to ensure proper maintenance of these buses. They are
responsible for the maintenance of the buses and we will not
tolerate any sort of negligence on their part," she said.
So far, six low-floor buses of Tata`s latest fleet have
caught fire, raising concerns about passenger safety.
Announcing the fine on Tata Motors, Delhi Transport
Minister Arvinder Singh Lovely said government has the option
of filing criminal cases against them in future.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!