FIR against NSUI presidential candidate: ABVP
New Delhi: The two main political contenders
at the Delhi University students union polls traded charges
today, with the ABVP writing to the Chief Election Officer to
bring to his notice an FIR against rival NSUI`s presidential
The presidential candidate of the Akhil Bhartiya
Vidyarthi Parishad Jitendra Chaudhary sent a letter to the
Chief Election Officer Gurmeet Singh, seeking the cancellation
of the nomination of Harish Chaudhary, his rival from the
National Students Union of India.
"Is it fair for the students union of this prestigious
university to have a candidate who has an FIR against him for
dacoity," Jitendra said in the letter.
Chief Election Officer Gurmeet Singh, however, said an
FIR was not ground enough to disqualify a candidate.
"Whatever complaint there is will be looked into, but
an FIR does not make a candidate liable to disqualification,
only a chargesheet does," he told PTI.
The NSUI on its part charged the ABVP of attempting to
exploit the situation by "misrepresenting" facts.
"The party which had filed the FIR has already submitted
a written statement saying it was sheer misunderstanding,"
said Shahnawaz Chaudhary, NSUI`s state secretary.
"Moreover, Harish was never charge sheeted in any case.
An FIR doesn`t make one a culprit. It is only an example of
exploitation by misrepresenting facts," he said.
The DUSU election is scheduled for September 3.
A total of 11 candidates will compete for the post of
President in the election which will see a total of 30 other
candidates vie for the three posts of Vice President,
Secretary and Joint Secretary.
Harish Choudhary is a first year student of SGBT Khalsa
College, while Jitender Choudhary is a student of MA (Buddhist
The ABVP, meanwhile, released its manifesto, with demands
for new hostels, more professional courses and a sexual
harassment free campus high on its agenda.
"We would also work for exclusive coaches for female
students in Metro trains, and for an anti-sexual harassment
committee in every college," said Neetu Dabas, ABVP`s nominee
for the post of Secretary.
On the issue of semester, she said the Vice Chancellor
should have reached out to the teachers and all concerned
parties before imposing the system on the University.
"The system is very good, but it needs cooperation from
all quarters for it to be successful, and we don`t see that
happening with strikes becoming a daily routine," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter