Fire at Delhi power substation doused
New Delhi: A major fire broke out at a power substation here on Tuesday afternoon and was extinguished after two hours of intense effort, said a fire service official. No injuries were reported, but power supply was affected in the area.
The blaze was reported from the 220 KV substation located near Crowne Plaza hotel in Okhla area of south Delhi at around 2.40 pm.
"A total of 18 fire tenders were rushed to the spot. The cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained. No one was reported injured in the incident," said the official.
Fire fighters wore breathing masks and managed to extinguish the blaze almost two hours later at 4.30 pm.
"Sparks, flames and thick black smoke could be seen billowing high above the row of multi-storeyed buildings near the sub-station located in south Delhi`s Okhla. A significant amount of thick black smoke lay thick over the area," added the official.
More than 25 mega watt (MW) supply of electricity was affected due to the sudden blaze in the substation. One portion of the substation was completely gutted in the fire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Ruby Rai, Bihar Class 12 topper now under arrest for cheating, says she never wanted to top the exam
- Euro 2016: Iceland stun England in one of greatest ever shocks
- Three new suicide attacks in Lebanon village near Syria
- Preparing for Brexit, Britain may see new PM by early September
- US says India has shown sustained commitment to non-proliferation