Fire at Delhi power substation doused
New Delhi: A major fire broke out at a power substation here on Tuesday afternoon and was extinguished after two hours of intense effort, said a fire service official. No injuries were reported, but power supply was affected in the area.
The blaze was reported from the 220 KV substation located near Crowne Plaza hotel in Okhla area of south Delhi at around 2.40 pm.
"A total of 18 fire tenders were rushed to the spot. The cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained. No one was reported injured in the incident," said the official.
Fire fighters wore breathing masks and managed to extinguish the blaze almost two hours later at 4.30 pm.
"Sparks, flames and thick black smoke could be seen billowing high above the row of multi-storeyed buildings near the sub-station located in south Delhi`s Okhla. A significant amount of thick black smoke lay thick over the area," added the official.
More than 25 mega watt (MW) supply of electricity was affected due to the sudden blaze in the substation. One portion of the substation was completely gutted in the fire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report