Fire engulfs 500 hutments in Delhi, eight injured
New Delhi: At least eight people were injured when a slum cluster of close to 500 hutments went up in flames in Vasant Kunj area here Friday, an official said.
The fire was reported at 8.30 am and 35 fire tenders were rushed to the spot.
"Close to 500 jhuggis (huts) went up in flames", a fire service official said.
The injured were admitted to a hospital.
Delhi Lt Governor Najeeb Jung visited the spot and directed officials to set up medical camps and provide drinking water and food to the affected people, an official statement said.
He also announced ex-gratia payment for those affected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf