Fire engulfs 500 hutments in Delhi, eight injured
New Delhi: At least eight people were injured when a slum cluster of close to 500 hutments went up in flames in Vasant Kunj area here Friday, an official said.
The fire was reported at 8.30 am and 35 fire tenders were rushed to the spot.
"Close to 500 jhuggis (huts) went up in flames", a fire service official said.
The injured were admitted to a hospital.
Delhi Lt Governor Najeeb Jung visited the spot and directed officials to set up medical camps and provide drinking water and food to the affected people, an official statement said.
He also announced ex-gratia payment for those affected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read