Fire engulfs 500 hutments in Delhi, eight injured
New Delhi: At least eight people were injured when a slum cluster of close to 500 hutments went up in flames in Vasant Kunj area here Friday, an official said.
The fire was reported at 8.30 am and 35 fire tenders were rushed to the spot.
"Close to 500 jhuggis (huts) went up in flames", a fire service official said.
The injured were admitted to a hospital.
Delhi Lt Governor Najeeb Jung visited the spot and directed officials to set up medical camps and provide drinking water and food to the affected people, an official statement said.
He also announced ex-gratia payment for those affected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown