Five given life term for killing aunt
New Delhi: A Delhi court has sentenced five members a family to life imprisonment for killing their aunt by setting her ablaze, suspecting that she practised witchcraft.
Additional Sessions Judge Gurdeep Singh sentenced the five expressing "shock" that people believed in superstitions in today`s scientific age.
"It is not only shocking but also pitiable that citizens of the country who are living in the capital are still ignorant, superstitious and backward in thinking as they were hundreds of years ago," said ASJ Singh.
In the case in hand, convicts Pammi, Pintu, Suresh, Raju and their sister Santosh Kumari, all residents of Sultan Puri in North West Delhi, blamed Kamla and her sister Shanti for practising witchcraft that resulted in death of their mother and that of Pammi`s wife.
On July 20, 2007, they set them on fire leading to Kamla`s death and causing severe burns to Shanti.
While pronouncing the sentence, the court expressed shock that even the denizens of the national Capital were gripped in superstitions and added "there is no future of a country where there is lack of education which does not develop scientific thinking amongst its people."
Expressing surprise over the existence of the superstition, the judge observed, "One keeps hearing a woman in the remote area of Bihar, UP or MP is killed by the villagers under a belief that she is a churail (witch) but similar beliefs being prevalent in the urban society shocks the conscience."
The court, however, refused to award capital punishment to the convicts saying the crime was committed due to "ignorance and backwardness."
"Although killing a woman in cruel manner like burning is grave and heinous, yet the mitigating circumstance are their social economic background and lack of education.
Therefore, this case does not fall under the category of rarest of the rare cases," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi