FM meets Advani to end impasse on Lokayukta issue
New Delhi: With Parliament proceedings stalled over the issue of appointment of Lokayukta in Gujarat, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday held a meeting with BJP Parliamentary Party Chief L K Advani, in an effort to end the impasse.
Sources said, the opposition BJP is adamant that the Lokayukta should be removed though it may not press on recall of Governor Kamla Beniwal.
Mukherjee, who is Leader of the House in Lok Sabha, and Advani held a meeting in Parliament House over the issue after Parliament was adjourned for the day following disruptions by BJP over the issue.
"Advani suggested certain things about the Gujarat Lokayukta," Mukherjee said, after the meeting but did not elaborate. Soon after this meeting, Advani held a meeting with his colleagues, including Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma
Swaraj and her Rajya Sabha counterpart Arun Jaitley.
One option being explored by the two sides is to make Lokayukta R A Mehta put in his papers on some pretext, sources said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Mukherjee have agreed to the removal of Mehta and have even conveyed this to the BJP top brass during the last few days, BJP sources claimed.
The main opposition is now saying, it is time that the government kept its word and removed Mehta if it wants to end the deadlock.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them