FM meets Advani to end impasse on Lokayukta issue
New Delhi: With Parliament proceedings stalled over the issue of appointment of Lokayukta in Gujarat, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday held a meeting with BJP Parliamentary Party Chief L K Advani, in an effort to end the impasse.
Sources said, the opposition BJP is adamant that the Lokayukta should be removed though it may not press on recall of Governor Kamla Beniwal.
Mukherjee, who is Leader of the House in Lok Sabha, and Advani held a meeting in Parliament House over the issue after Parliament was adjourned for the day following disruptions by BJP over the issue.
"Advani suggested certain things about the Gujarat Lokayukta," Mukherjee said, after the meeting but did not elaborate. Soon after this meeting, Advani held a meeting with his colleagues, including Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma
Swaraj and her Rajya Sabha counterpart Arun Jaitley.
One option being explored by the two sides is to make Lokayukta R A Mehta put in his papers on some pretext, sources said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Mukherjee have agreed to the removal of Mehta and have even conveyed this to the BJP top brass during the last few days, BJP sources claimed.
The main opposition is now saying, it is time that the government kept its word and removed Mehta if it wants to end the deadlock.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!