FM meets Advani to end impasse on Lokayukta issue
New Delhi: With Parliament proceedings stalled over the issue of appointment of Lokayukta in Gujarat, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday held a meeting with BJP Parliamentary Party Chief L K Advani, in an effort to end the impasse.
Sources said, the opposition BJP is adamant that the Lokayukta should be removed though it may not press on recall of Governor Kamla Beniwal.
Mukherjee, who is Leader of the House in Lok Sabha, and Advani held a meeting in Parliament House over the issue after Parliament was adjourned for the day following disruptions by BJP over the issue.
"Advani suggested certain things about the Gujarat Lokayukta," Mukherjee said, after the meeting but did not elaborate. Soon after this meeting, Advani held a meeting with his colleagues, including Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma
Swaraj and her Rajya Sabha counterpart Arun Jaitley.
One option being explored by the two sides is to make Lokayukta R A Mehta put in his papers on some pretext, sources said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Mukherjee have agreed to the removal of Mehta and have even conveyed this to the BJP top brass during the last few days, BJP sources claimed.
The main opposition is now saying, it is time that the government kept its word and removed Mehta if it wants to end the deadlock.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- DNA: Why no voice is being raised in favour of Kashmiri Pandits?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city