Fog affects 75 flights at IGI airport
New Delhi: Fog again disrupted operations at the Indira Gandhi International Airport on Tuesday, affecting the schedule of around 75 domestic and international flights.
Around 70 flights originating from here were delayed either due to weather conditions at the airport and at the destination or due to operational reasons, airport official said. Five flights remained cancelled due to same reasons.
No flight was diverted today unlike yesterday, when the IGI airport witnessed its worst fog of this season which affected the schedule of around 160 domestic and international flights, they added.
Fog started to descend over the airport last night around 9 PM forcing the authorities to implement low visibility procedures (LVP) on the airport`s two operational runways -- main (28/10) and third (29/11).
The visibility on the third runway remained low through the night and in the morning. Though visibility dropped to 50 metres between 1 AM and 4 AM, the third runway was open for operations for flight landing with the assistance of CAT-IIIB instrument landing system (ILS), which permits a CAT-IIIB compliant plane to land when the visibility is upto 50 metres.
The general visibility dropped below 50 metres between 3.30 AM and 4.30 AM.
The visibility on the main runway was around 1,000 metres at one end, but it dropped to 50 metres between 2 AM and 3 AM on the other end. Flights were operating with the help of CAT-IIIB ILS, they said.
A total of 205 flights operated during the LVP period, which ended at 10:20 AM today, using various categories of ILS. 125 flights landed supported with CAT-I, 12 with CAT-II and 15 with CAT-III ILS. 153 flights took-off in this period.
The MeT department has predicted fog which may affect flight operations as the visibility may reduce to 200 metres in the morning t.
Yesterday, dense fog had affected the schedule of around 160 flights the IGI airport remained shut for about one-and-a-half hours due to poor visibility and subsequent backlog of departing flights.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know