Fog back again: Flight, train schedules go hay wire
New Delhi: Flight operations at the IGI
airport remained suspended this morning due to dense fog which
disrupted the schedules of over 50 domestic and international
No flights have taken-off or landed after 8 am as the
runway visibility dropped to 50 metres on both the runways due
to dense fog that enveloped the airport early this morning,
airport sources said.
About 12 incoming and outgoing morning flights were
According to Met Department, the fog started to
descend on the airport in the wee hours and it began to
thicken around 5 am, reducing the general visibility to less
than 50 metres while runway visibility was reduced to around
Within an hour, the runway visibility dropped to 75
metres and by 7.30 am it further deteriorated to 50 metres,
affecting the movement of several morning flights.
No flights could land even using the CAT-III B
instrument landing system, as the minimum permissible limit to
land under such conditions is 50 metres, while the limit for
low visibility take-off is 150 metres.
"Our first flight takes off at around 6 am but no
flights have departed," said an Air India official, adding no
flight has arrived also due to poor visibility.
Delhi`s airspace would also remained close for an hour
between 11.15 am and 12.15 pm for fly-past of Indian Air Force
aircraft during the Republic Day parade.
After remaining disrupted for almost a week, Delhi
airport yesterday witnessed a fog-free day helping the
airlines to maintain its schedule.
The Met department said that the fog could dissipate
only after 11.30 am and by 1.30 it would turn into shallow
Train services hit
A railway spokesperson said over 50 trains were running behind schedule due to dense fog in Moradabad region of Uttar Pradesh.
"So far we have rescheduled 14 trains," the official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- IPL 2015: Not easy for fast bowler to win many MOM in one season, says Ashish Nehra