Fog back in Delhi, traffic hit
New Delhi: The fog was back in the national capital on Monday with Delhiites waking up to a grey morning after a few days of clear sunshine. Low visibility hampered movement of air, rail and road traffic.
The city woke to a dense fog. At 8.30 am, visibility was reduced to 50 metres, and road traffic slowed to a crawl.
Monday`s minimum temperature settled three notches above average at 10.6 degrees Celsius. The maximum is expected to hover around 22 degrees Celsius, an India Meteorological Department (IMD) official said.
A railway official said 10 trains were cancelled and 20 delayed by the fog.
"Over 20 trains were running behind schedule by several hours and 10 trains have been cancelled. Dense fog across many parts of north India today (Monday) affected rail services," a Northern Railway spokesperson said.
The fog also disrupted operations at the Indira Gandhi International airport on Monday morning.
"About 20 flights have been delayed, among them two international flights and eight domestic ones. Nine domestic flights were diverted, as visibility dropped to 50 metres," an official of the Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL) said.
An IMD official, however, held out hope for clear skies.
Motorists who had to set out early Monday, especially those who left homes in National Capital Region (NCR) areas like Noida and Gurgaon to drive into Delhi were hit hard, as the fog was dense and visibility poor.
"Nothing but the fog was visible, how could I drive," said Sanjeev Mishra, who commutes from Noida to Delhi for work.
Sunday`s maximum and minimum temperatures were both two notches above average for this time of year at 22.9 degrees Celsius and 9.4 degrees Celsius respectively.
The Met department said the coldest day of the season so far was January 06, when the minimum temperature dropped to 1.9 degrees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray