Fog back in Delhi, traffic hit
New Delhi: The fog was back in the national capital on Monday with Delhiites waking up to a grey morning after a few days of clear sunshine. Low visibility hampered movement of air, rail and road traffic.
The city woke to a dense fog. At 8.30 am, visibility was reduced to 50 metres, and road traffic slowed to a crawl.
Monday`s minimum temperature settled three notches above average at 10.6 degrees Celsius. The maximum is expected to hover around 22 degrees Celsius, an India Meteorological Department (IMD) official said.
A railway official said 10 trains were cancelled and 20 delayed by the fog.
"Over 20 trains were running behind schedule by several hours and 10 trains have been cancelled. Dense fog across many parts of north India today (Monday) affected rail services," a Northern Railway spokesperson said.
The fog also disrupted operations at the Indira Gandhi International airport on Monday morning.
"About 20 flights have been delayed, among them two international flights and eight domestic ones. Nine domestic flights were diverted, as visibility dropped to 50 metres," an official of the Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL) said.
An IMD official, however, held out hope for clear skies.
Motorists who had to set out early Monday, especially those who left homes in National Capital Region (NCR) areas like Noida and Gurgaon to drive into Delhi were hit hard, as the fog was dense and visibility poor.
"Nothing but the fog was visible, how could I drive," said Sanjeev Mishra, who commutes from Noida to Delhi for work.
Sunday`s maximum and minimum temperatures were both two notches above average for this time of year at 22.9 degrees Celsius and 9.4 degrees Celsius respectively.
The Met department said the coldest day of the season so far was January 06, when the minimum temperature dropped to 1.9 degrees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt