Fog breaks 7-yr record, engulfs Delhi airport for 172 hrs
New Delhi: Breaking a seven-year-old record, dense fog kept the Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi under its cover for 172 hours, so far this month, disrupting schedules of over 1,200 domestic and international flights and causing cancellation of 200 others.
"Dense fog, this January, has broken the record of January 2003 and has enveloped the airport for 172 hours. In January 2003, thick fog had kept the airport under wraps for 168 hours," RK Jenamani, Director-in-charge of Airport Met Department said.
However, in any month during the fog season, December 1998 holds the record of having the longest duration of fog that had engulfed the airport for 179 hours.
But, if this condition prevails and with three days still left in the month of January, fog could easily break the record of December 1998, he said.
Fog season is generally considered from November to February, with the months of December and January witnessing the longest durations of dense fog.
On an average, dense fog is witnessed for just three to five hours during the months of November and February while December and January experiences about 95 percent of dense fog durations.
"The conditions were conducive this time for formation of dense fog as there was less difference between day and night temperatures and also there was no winds," Jenemani said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip