Fog disrupts flight schedule at IGI airport
New Delhi: Dense fog on Monday disrupted the schedule of over 30 domestic and international flights at the Indira Gandhi International Airport here.
Ten flights were cancelled due to operational reasons. Air India flight AI 996 from Dubai was diverted to Mumbai at around 4.45 AM due to operational reasons.
Fog started to descend at the airport around midnight and general visibility dropped to below 50 metres and runway visibility to 50 metres at the third runway around 3 am, while visibility was around 1000 metres on main runway (28/10), airport officials said.
But the situation changed within 40 minutes and visibility at main runway dropped to 125 metres at one end forcing the authorities to implement low visibility procedures.
The visibility remained around 100 metres at the third runway till 6 am, which left it operational for arriving flight as the minimum visibility for take-off is required 125 metres and 150 metres for small and big aircraft.
Operations at the airport had remained normal for the past two days even as it witnessed moderate to shallow fog.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love