Fog hits flight operations at IGI
New Delhi: Flight operations came to a
standstill at the IGI Airport here Friday morning after dense
fog enveloped the area.
More than 40 domestic and international flights have been
delayed, while nine arriving and departing flights were
The visibility at the runway dropped to 50 metres as a
result no flights could take off since 6:AM. The minimum
visibility is 125 metres and 150 metres for various categories
The visibility started to decrease in the wee hours as a
result one Jet Airways flight from Doha was diverted to
As the visibility hovered between 75 metres and 50
metres, some of the flights landed using CAT III B instrument
landing system, which allows a compliant aircraft to land when
the runway visibility is 50 metres.
The visibility is likely to improve as the day
progresses, according to Met department.
Yesterday, around 143 flights were delayed and nine
cancelled due to poor weather at destination or operational
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice