Fog leads to 20-car pile-up on Yamuna Expressway; 1 dead
Greater Noida: A two-year-old girl was killed and 30 persons were injured in a massive pile-up of 20 vehicles on Yamuna Expressway near Bhaipur in Jewar area, 24 km from Greater Noida, in dense fog this morning, police said.
"Around 20 vehicles collided one after another at 24 km point on the Expressway leading to Agra," a police officer said.
"Due to dense fog, a UP Roadways bus from Noida to Agra collided with a canter. Thereafter, a number of vehicles collided in a series," the officer said.
He said the injured were taken to Kailash Hospital by Expressway ambulances.
While the girl identified as Suhana succumbed, six injured were undergoing treatment, of whom the condition of three was stated to be critical. The other injured were discharged from hospital.
"Bhim Singh, Pohop Singh and Pawan Singh were admitted to ICU as their condition was critical," a doctor at the hospital said.
Several injured have suffered multiple fractures, he said.
The police officer said, "Though I was appealing to the drivers to drive slow due to fog, they continued driving fast."
"I had stopped and warned a few drivers but it is not possible to warn each and every speeding vehicle. People should know that driving in speed in fog is fatal," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened