Fog leads to 20-car pile-up on Yamuna Expressway; 1 dead
Greater Noida: A two-year-old girl was killed and 30 persons were injured in a massive pile-up of 20 vehicles on Yamuna Expressway near Bhaipur in Jewar area, 24 km from Greater Noida, in dense fog this morning, police said.
"Around 20 vehicles collided one after another at 24 km point on the Expressway leading to Agra," a police officer said.
"Due to dense fog, a UP Roadways bus from Noida to Agra collided with a canter. Thereafter, a number of vehicles collided in a series," the officer said.
He said the injured were taken to Kailash Hospital by Expressway ambulances.
While the girl identified as Suhana succumbed, six injured were undergoing treatment, of whom the condition of three was stated to be critical. The other injured were discharged from hospital.
"Bhim Singh, Pohop Singh and Pawan Singh were admitted to ICU as their condition was critical," a doctor at the hospital said.
Several injured have suffered multiple fractures, he said.
The police officer said, "Though I was appealing to the drivers to drive slow due to fog, they continued driving fast."
"I had stopped and warned a few drivers but it is not possible to warn each and every speeding vehicle. People should know that driving in speed in fog is fatal," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday