Fog plays havoc with schedules of over 50 flights at IGI
New Delhi: Schedule of over 50 flights was
affected on Sunday after dense fog enveloped the IGI airport here
leading to cancellation of two domestic flights and diversion
of seven others.
"Due to dense fog last night and this morning, seven
flights, including an international one, were diverted, two
flights were cancelled and three international flights were
rescheduled," an airport official said.
Shallow fog started to descend on the airport since last
evening and started to become thick by 8.30 PM.
Visibility started to deteriorate and by 11.30 PM, it
dropped to less than 50 metres. Runway visibility dropped to
150 metres when the fog becomes very dense.
The situation remained poor for next three hours. During
this period seven flights -- five domestic, one international
and one cargo -- were diverted to Jaipur, Ahemadabad, Kolkata
Poor visibility and inclement weather forced Air India to
reschedule three international flights.
Air India flight (AI 101) to New York, scheduled to
depart at 12.45 AM, was rescheduled to 9.00 AM, Delhi-Chicago
from 01.30 AM to 10.30 AM and Delhi-Toronto from 01.45 AM to
Poor visibility led to implementation of low visibility
procedures at 8.31 pm on the new runway and at 10.38 pm on
main runway. The LVP was terminated at 8.35 am on the new
runway and at 6.40 am on the main runway.
A total of 151 flights operated using various categories
of Instrument Landing System.
88 flights operated with CAT I ILS, 22 with CAT II, 33
with CAT III A and 08 with CAT III B ILS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections