Fog returns at IGI airport hitting flight operations
New Delhi: After remaining normal for two days, operations at the Indira Gandhi International (IGI) airport here on Monday were hit due to dense fog which affected schedules of over 50 flights.
Arrival or departure of around 20 flights were cancelled either due to operational reasons or due to bad weather conditions, airport officials said. Among the flights arriving here which were cancelled were from Bagdogra, Pune, Lucknow, Mumbai, Patna and Chandigarh.
Air India flight AI 996 from Dubai was diverted to Mumbai at around 4.50 AM, when visibility dropped below 50 metres, as the aircraft was not CAT-IIIB certified for instrument landing.
To operate in dense fog conditions, an aircraft has to be CAT-IIIB complaint along with its cockpit crew. The aviation regulator Directorate General of Civil Aviation has to certify an aircraft declaring it fit to operate under poor visibility conditions.
Fog started to descend at the airport last night and general visibility dropped to below 50 metres on the third runway around 3 AM, while visibility was around 1,000 metres on the main runway (28/10), when airport experienced very dense fog, the officials said.
But the situation changed within 40 minutes and visibility on the main runway dropped to 125 metres at one end, forcing the authorities to implement low visibility procedures (LVP).
The visibility remained around 100 metres on the third runway till 6 AM, which left it operational for arriving flights as the minimum visibility for take-off is required to be 125 metres and 150 metres for small and big aircraft.
The runway visibility started to improve around 8 AM and gradually increased to 200 metres and more.
LVP was finally lifted at around 11 AM when the visibility increased to 1,000 metres. A total of 95 flights landed assisted by various categories of instrument landing systems.
Operations at the airport had remained normal for the past two days even as it had witnessed moderate to shallow fog.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- At least 700 dead after series of shipwrecks off Libyan coast
- Sidharth Malhotra is spilling hotness all over this summer! - Pic inside
- No touching! Operate Google's smartwatches just with hand gestures - Watch
- Indo-Pak bilateral series: Pakistan govt tells PCB not to initiate dialogue with BCCI
- PCB confident of getting Mohammad Amir's visa for England tour