Food and Civil Supplies scam: Delhi CM, minister must quit, says BJP
New Delhi: Alleging a "massive scam" in Delhi government`s public distribution system (PDS), BJP on Wednesday demanded Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit`s resignation over the issue along with the sacking of Food and Civil Supplies Minister Harun Yusuf.
The demand by Delhi BJP chief Vijay Goel came a day after the government suspended six Food and Civil Supplies officials for alleged irregularities in distribution of foodgrain under the PDS.
The government action came after a TV channel aired a sting operation showing irregularities in the PDS.
"The Food and Civil Supplies Minister has been presiding over a systematic plunder of food grain meant for the poor. It is a massive scam. He must be sacked immediately. We also demand resignation of the Chief Minister," Goel said.
He also sought a white paper on the status of PDS in Delhi.
"Congress government is duping the poor through the multi- crore PDS scam. Fake ration cards have been made in lakhs. There is a nexus between Food and Civil Supplies officials and black market players who are diverting foodgrain meant for the poor to private flour mills," alleged Goel.
"The PDS scam has several components like sale of foodgrain on the open market, routing of substandard food grain to ration shops and the ration card scam," he claimed.
The government had yesterday ordered a high-level probe into the alleged scam and recommended to Lt Governor Najeeb Jung that punitive action be taken against a senior Food and Civil Supplies department official who was found involved in "wrongdoings".
Terming the action "cosmetic", Goel also alleged that lakhs of fake rations cards had been issued over the past few years as part of the "scam to plunder food grain".
"Lakhs of fake ration cards were issued in the name of non -existing individuals. It had been found that in 2008 itself, more than 1.7 lakh bogus ration cards were issued in Delhi. In the past five years, Delhi government has only helped the scam grow fatter," he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after suffering cardiac arrest; mortal remains brought to her official residence
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what