Food and Civil Supplies scam: Delhi CM, minister must quit, says BJP
New Delhi: Alleging a "massive scam" in Delhi government`s public distribution system (PDS), BJP on Wednesday demanded Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit`s resignation over the issue along with the sacking of Food and Civil Supplies Minister Harun Yusuf.
The demand by Delhi BJP chief Vijay Goel came a day after the government suspended six Food and Civil Supplies officials for alleged irregularities in distribution of foodgrain under the PDS.
The government action came after a TV channel aired a sting operation showing irregularities in the PDS.
"The Food and Civil Supplies Minister has been presiding over a systematic plunder of food grain meant for the poor. It is a massive scam. He must be sacked immediately. We also demand resignation of the Chief Minister," Goel said.
He also sought a white paper on the status of PDS in Delhi.
"Congress government is duping the poor through the multi- crore PDS scam. Fake ration cards have been made in lakhs. There is a nexus between Food and Civil Supplies officials and black market players who are diverting foodgrain meant for the poor to private flour mills," alleged Goel.
"The PDS scam has several components like sale of foodgrain on the open market, routing of substandard food grain to ration shops and the ration card scam," he claimed.
The government had yesterday ordered a high-level probe into the alleged scam and recommended to Lt Governor Najeeb Jung that punitive action be taken against a senior Food and Civil Supplies department official who was found involved in "wrongdoings".
Terming the action "cosmetic", Goel also alleged that lakhs of fake rations cards had been issued over the past few years as part of the "scam to plunder food grain".
"Lakhs of fake ration cards were issued in the name of non -existing individuals. It had been found that in 2008 itself, more than 1.7 lakh bogus ration cards were issued in Delhi. In the past five years, Delhi government has only helped the scam grow fatter," he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...