Food bill to come up in RS on Sept 2
New Delhi: The landmark Food Security Bill, which was approved by the Lok Sabha, will be taken up for consideration in the Rajya Sabha on September 2.
The bill, which seeks to provide cheap foodgrains to 82 crore people in the country ushering in the biggest programme in the world to fight hunger, was okayed by the Lower House yesterday after much delay and uncertainty.
Passage of the bill in Parliament will pave the way to give the nation`s two-third population the right to 5 kg of foodgrain every month at highly subsidised rates of Rs 1-3 a kg.
After the holiday tomorrow on account of Janmashtami, the Lok Sabha will take up the Land Acquisition Bill for consideration.
Both the bills are being seen as gamechangers by the Congress ahead of the Lok Sabha elections, which are scheduled before May next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Jasprit Bumrah jumps to career best No. 2 spot in ICC T20I Rankings
- Water tanker scam: ACB summons Delhi Water Minister Kapil Mishra for questioning
- Now recharge your body and phone with KFC's 'Watt a Box' meal!- Watch
- Volkswagen to pay $10 billion in US over emissions scandal: Source
- PM Narendra Modi meets Chinese President Xi Jinping, seeks support for India's NSG bid