Food bill to come up in RS on Sept 2
New Delhi: The landmark Food Security Bill, which was approved by the Lok Sabha, will be taken up for consideration in the Rajya Sabha on September 2.
The bill, which seeks to provide cheap foodgrains to 82 crore people in the country ushering in the biggest programme in the world to fight hunger, was okayed by the Lower House yesterday after much delay and uncertainty.
Passage of the bill in Parliament will pave the way to give the nation`s two-third population the right to 5 kg of foodgrain every month at highly subsidised rates of Rs 1-3 a kg.
After the holiday tomorrow on account of Janmashtami, the Lok Sabha will take up the Land Acquisition Bill for consideration.
Both the bills are being seen as gamechangers by the Congress ahead of the Lok Sabha elections, which are scheduled before May next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- Huge blow for Arvind Kejriwal ahead of MCD elections, AAP MLA Ved Prakash joins BJP