Fool-proof security for Commonwealth Games: Dadwal
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of the Jama Masjid firing incident, Delhi Police Commissioner YS Dadwal on Thursday assured international athletes and delegations of
fool-proof security for the Commonwealth Games.
"I assure international athletes that there is fool-proof security for the Commonwealth Games. There is no doubt over it," Dadwal told reporters here after attending a meeting
chaired by Union Home Minister P Chidambaram to take stock of Games security.
On the firing incident outside Jama Masjid on Sunday in which two Taiwanese were injured, the police chief said, "investigations into Jama Masjid firing are on. The incident
will have no impact on the Games security."
The nearly hour-long meeting was attended by senior officials of Home Ministry, Delhi Police and central security agencies.
He also termed as "bogus" the sting operation carried out by an Australian television channel claiming that there was a security breach at the Jawahar Lal Nehru stadium, the main venue for the Games.
"The sting operation was completely bogus. The security checking has not started then, that is why they (journalists) could enter it...But we are ready from security arrangements
points of view," he said.
Over 70 countries are likely to participate in the sporting event scheduled here between October 3 and 14. Delhi Police and central security agencies are striving hard to
ensure adequate security for the event, which is being hosted by the country for the first time.
More than one lakh security personnel would be seen in action during the Games including about 175 companies (17,500 personnel) of paramilitary forces, 3,000 commandos, 100 anti-sabotage teams, 200 dogs and 15 bomb disposal squads.
Besides, about 150 personnel of the Delhi Police`s Special Weapons and Tactics Team have been trained by the IAF and the NSG to shoot down suspicious manned and unmanned "flying objects".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog