Foreign funds received by NGOs not used in stir: Govt to HC
New Delhi: The Centre on Wednesday told the Delhi High Court that some NGOs affiliated to anti-graft activist Anna Hazare`s team had received foreign funds, which were utilised irregularly, but that does not warrant any criminal investigation.
In an affidavit to the bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Rajiv Sahai Endlaw, the Ministry of Home Affairs said NGOs Navjyoti Indian Foundation and India Vision Foundation, run by Kiran Bedi, and NGO Kabir, run by Manish Sisodia, had received foreign funds but the same was not used for any political activity or India Against Corruption (IAC) movement.
In the affidavit, the government said "inspections were carried out in August and also in November 2012 under Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA) and FCR Rules and some irregularities were found.
"These irregularities are not serious enough at this stage to warrant a criminal investigation. During inspection no documentary proof in the records of the association was found to show the use of the fund in any such political activity or in India Against Corruption (IAC) movement or agitation.
The bench was hearing a PIL filed by Advocate Manohar Lal Sharma seeking CBI enquiry against the members of team Anna for allegedly receiving funds from foreign organisations without government`s permission and running their agitation for Lokpal Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report